Monday, September 10, 2018

Today / #Network For #StrongerTogether Guest Influencers Respond to: Why do you think it's important to declare yourself a Democrat; to register as a Democrat?





Focused Read in 3-4 minutes



On the question of the Day:

Why do you think it's important to declare yourself a Democrat; to register as a Democrat?

I'll go first …


1.

Like most of the young people I hung out with in the 1960's and the early 1970's I totally resisted labels so there was no way I was going to be tagged with the name of any political party -- I was i-n-d-e-p-e-n-d-e-n-t! But, once President Kennedy, Martin Luther King, Jr. and Bobby Kennedy were assassinated (1963 and 1968, respectively), the Pentagon Papers (1971) and Watergate (1972) broke and back to back presidential maps went red I decided something was amiss and I'd better commit to the pro-American party, the Democratic Party and engage and I did...

Just for fun, if you've seen me "note" on social media at various times that we are more "GOP" than most of us recognize and that voters are responsible for where we are today these two maps are what persuaded me of that and why I continue to repeat it whenever an opportunity presents itself!

~ Unapologetic Democrat. Older than the average member of the House of Representatives. A Democratic Party activist, in and out of the party system, for about 30 years.


2.


In my heart I have always been a Democrat but I have not always registered as one. Why? Well a sense of rebellion maybe, I’m my own person, etc., no one is going to label me, I’m an “ independent” person and self-reliant. All reasons that worked for me at the time. Then somewhere over my many years of life, through work, living in community and family interactions, I honed in on the fact that the Democrats really were my ” tribe”. I was them and they were me.

When I worked for a candidate, they were a democrat. When I voted in primaries I took the democratic ballot, when I was with other folks in gatherings, meetings, decision making sessions, it was the Democrats that I leaned in with. And when, upon appraising my friends in Massachusetts and in other states, I realized that they were Democrats as well. So who was I kidding, just myself. I was actually choosing a “label” and it was “Independent”, just a label, not a factual description of my political beliefs and values.

So I resolutely made my decision and declared what I believed in, and that, hands down, is the Democratic Party and its beliefs, values, platform of goals and ideals and its people. Those people who, when they join together on their focused mission, give me goose bumps and often bring tears to my eyes. They give me hope for the future for my family, my community, my state and my country.

I love being a proud and registered Democrat today. I can trust my inner self that I am right where I am supposed to be. I’ll be working at my local Democratic Headquarters again this year, greeting others who might want some information, need to ask some questions, might want to argue a few points, are checking on their voting status, and/or just want to connect with fellow Democrats and share in that feeling of hope, understanding, compassionate vision and inclusive values. And maybe even feel a few goose bumps and a tear of recognition and joy.

A word to those who might be questioning their chosen political designation, take a moment and ask yourself: Does this “label” really represent who I am? Evaluate where you stand today. Are you with your “tribe”? Do they stand for what you believe in and want to see for your families and country. Maybe now it’s your time to come home and be with those who will help to bring you the future that you can be proud of in a country that displays the values and ideals that you hold precious. All are welcome.


~ Influencer: Blessings, Passionately Political, over the average age of U.S. Congressperson, political activist, with varying intensity, since late 1970’s.


3.

I think it’s important to declare myself a Democrat and register as one because I am an Activist in my community. When I attend events related to community problems -people notice me there, caring, and mark in their minds - oh, she’s a Democrat - and they may associate Democrats with caring about that particular issue they are so concerned about. It’s a way of attracting people to the Party.

Fully funding our public schools, and eliminating barriers to college are Democratic Party platform issues and I am proud of our Party platform at the state and national level.

Healthcare, the Environment, the Economy, Equality, and Gun Safety are the issues I care about as a Democrat - it’s easy to persuade others to vote Democrat when we focus on these issues.

Most importantly - we have a ‘once in a lifetime’ opportunity to check Donald Trump’s agenda by flipping the House in this midterm election. We won’t be able to do that if third party candidates subtract from our power as a Democratic Party to defeat the Republican Party of Trump at the ballot box.
~ Influencer: Democratic Activist, Political Field Director. Older than the average member of the House of Representatives. Political activist for 10 years.


4.

I am a registered Democrat, because I feel strongly one needs to declare their party of preference. I am very proud to be a lifetime Democrat. I also believe in voting locally in the primaries, so I have a say in who will run for my party. I continue to feel dismayed, at how few people use their voting privilege to help select the best candidates to  represent their values.
~ Influencer: A am a proud lifetime Democrat.  An activist most of my life, but got seriously involved with electing President Obama and Hillary Clinton. Now I fight daily for the resistance. I am older than the average representative.


5.

I declare my party when I vote in the primary. In Illinois we don’t register by party. I am proud to declare that I am a Democrat. I believe that Democrats care about people. I have read most of the Democratic Party platform and I support what Democrats support.

~ Influencer. Always a teacher. Older than the average age of a member of the House of Representative. A political activist for 14 years.


Thank you to Network For #StrongerTogether Blog ! influencers for sharing your activist experience with us! 

(Periodically, Network #StrongerTogether Blog! will ask a question that will be responded to by a panel of guest influencers who view politics through the lens of the Democratic Party Platform. The panelists will be self-identified in the context of who they are as activists who take action (s) in a variety of ways.)
* As of November 2017, the average age of a member of the House of Representatives is 57-years-old. ( Courtesy of "Quorum." )


Focused Thought in 15 seconds




Focused Action 30 seconds



You retweet the "Now This" tweet here


Focused Monthly Inspiration 




During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. ~ George Orwell

#its2018now )

.
.
.


*** You can also find my ebook:



 "How to Influence Media!"


at GoFundMe here 





What's in the book?:



  Direct sources for Democrats:

* ( Personal favored and most informative follows are also shared here with the understanding that readers will always apply their own critical thinking to any information provided anywhere by anyone. #StrongerTogether does not share sources of information lightly but -- no one is perfect! -- so always #DistrustAndVerify -- even if it's me. I am using a star rating that is strictly based on my situational experience with the work of the media personality specifically in relation to issues of interest to me. )


The Democratic Party Website

The Democratic Party on Facebook

The Democratic Party on Twitter


Also, NOT exactly a Democratic Party specific source under a GOP majority but a good place for to hear and to watch speeches & hearings directly C-SPAN 


  Some of my favorite, most active organizations -- some existing & some developing to elect Democrats:



Born from conversations between Governor Howard Dean and Secretary Hillary Clinton in the aftermath of the 2016 election, Onward Together was established to lend support to leaders — particularly young leaders — kicking off projects and founding new organizations to fight for our shared progressive values. here



An "organizing project that advocates for the agenda of former U.S. President Barack Obama" here


( * A current story on Organizing For Action )



"Flip States. Restore Democracy" here 




"Connects Democratic Campaigns with volunteers across the country" here 




Since #StandOnEveryCorner has grown, it’s become a stand by all of us to protect our democracy from corruption and treason...A stand not at your State Capitol, but in your own backyard. Not once every few months, but as often as you can here


  Fact checking organizations courtesy of the Society of Professional Journalists 

in alphabetical order...














( You can read more on fact checking here )


  Some of my favorite, most informative
 follows on Twitter include:


⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ US Intelligence | Author | Navy Senior Chief | NBC/MSNBC
⭐⭐⭐ Federal Government Operations | Vanity Fair | Newsweek | MSNBC Contributor | Author
⭐⭐⭐⭐ Voting Rights/Voter Suppression | Author | Mother Jones 


  Some of my favorite, highly credible media -- at the moment:


πŸ“°πŸ“°πŸ“° Mother Jones

πŸ“°πŸ“°πŸ“°πŸ“° The Washington Post

πŸ“°πŸ“°πŸ“°πŸ“° The New York Times

πŸ’»πŸ’»πŸ’» News And Guts on Facebook


  Some of my favorite Talking Heads -- at the moment -- and their Twitter handles:


πŸ“ΊπŸ“ΊπŸ“ΊπŸ“Ί Rachel Maddow on MSNBC

πŸ“ΊπŸ“ΊπŸ“ΊπŸ“ΊπŸ“Ί AM w/Joy Reid on MSNBC

πŸ“ΊπŸ“ΊπŸ“Ί Chris Cuomo on CNN

πŸ“ΊπŸ“ΊπŸ“ΊπŸ“Ί The Beat With Ari on MSNBC

πŸ“ΊπŸ“ΊπŸ“ΊπŸ“Ί Individual programs: Velshi / Ruhle Co-hosted program: Velshi & Ruhle on MSNBC

πŸ“ΊπŸ“ΊπŸ“ΊπŸ“Ί Nicolle Wallace On MSNBC


  Some of my favorite media/panelists -- at the moment -- and their Twitter handles:

✅✅✅✅ Joan Walsh national affairs correspondent for The Nation; CNN political contributor

✅✅✅ Heidi Przybyla USA TODAY Senior Political Reporter

✅✅✅ Jennifer Rubin Conservative blogger at @ WashingtonPost's Right Turn,MSNBC contributor

✅✅✅ Natasha Bertrand Staff writer @ The Atlantic covering national security & the 
intel community. @ NBCNews/@ MSNBC contributor

  Some of my favorite Democrat Party Leaders to follow on Twitter, not in elected office but proving knowledge & experience are positives & not negatives are:


President Barack Obama

Former First Lady Michelle Obama

Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton

Former Labor Secretary/Today's DNC Chair Tom Perez

Former Attorney General Eric Holder 


 Note: I rarely get involved in primary races -- outside of those in my own area and unless there is a glaring reason that can not be ignored, I support Democratic Party nominees in general elections. I don't support bashing Democrats.

.
.
.



(Linked) "...is our 2016 platform...a declaration of how we plan to move America forward. Democrats believe that cooperation is better than conflict, unity is better than division, empowerment is better than resentment, and bridges are better than walls.

It’s a simple but powerful idea: We are stronger together."

You can read the Democratic Platform here

   
 *


Curated by Gail Mountain, this blog is often gently edited and/or excerpted for quick reading, with occasional personal commentary in the form of the written word and/or in the form of emphasis noted. Network For #StrongerTogether ! is not affiliated with The Democratic Party in any capacity. This is an independent blog and the hope is you will, at a glance, learn more about the Party and you will, with a click or two, also take action on its behalf as it is provided!





( You can find me on Twitter 



You can also find me on Facebook


 at https://www.facebook.com/ProgressDems/)



  *



See the League of Women Voters website:

 Vote411 here 


*






...for Networking for Democrats today!

g. (Unapologetic Democrat)

✊ Resisting "Fake News"





No comments: